The GFT is an educational charity and not-for-profit organisation. We welcome over 190,000 people annually to over 600 different films and many varied festivals and special events. Our volunteer usher team are vital to the daily functions of the cinema and assist us in offering a varied, fun and educational programme with a personal approach which we love and value.
We are looking for people who want to help out in a fun and challenging environment as part of our Front of House volunteer usher team. We usually take on a group of new volunteers around three times a year but do accept applications all year round which we keep on file until we are next actively looking. If selected, we then ask you to come in for a short interview. The next stage in the process is an extensive induction to make sure you have all the knowledge you need. You would then start initial training shifts with other experienced volunteers which is a great way we mentor our new members of the team!
Who is the perfect GFT volunteer?
Our volunteers are a wonderful representation of our community. Our team is made up from people of different ages and backgrounds and from a variety of life experiences and that’s exactly how we like it! However there are a few key traits we must see in every new volunteer:
- Outgoing and confident.
- Passionate about film and understands the importance of delivering a high quality experience.
- Customer focused and able to be professional, friendly and welcoming.
- Able to stay calm under pressure and loves a challenge.
- While there is no contractual obligation, there is a usual minimum commitment of volunteering with us one session per week and a weekend day once a month.
- Adaptable and willing to get stuck in and help where you are needed.
- Have easy access to the internet as most of our communications regarding rotas is done via the internet and email.
- We regret we are unable to cover out of pocket expenses including travel costs.
What does a GFT Volunteer do?
So you fit the criteria? What would you be doing with us? The wonderful thing about the GFT is how varied and diverse each week is. We host an amazing range of film-related events all year round, such as Q&A’s with a variety of creative talents, live performances, live satellite events and film festivals including of course our own Glasgow Film Festival. Here is a sample of what your role would be:
- Monitoring the film and audience behaviour during screenings and taking appropriate action when necessary.
- Meeting and greeting customers. Helping them with queries and film information.
- Tidying screens after performances, being careful to observe our recycling policy when gathering litter. Checking toilets before and after performances.
- Being instrumental in helping to evacuate the building during fire evacuations. Must observe health and safety best practices,
- Representing the GFT. You are there to offer the individuality, sense of community and friendliness that our cinema is known for.
- Helping with live events in the cinema including school events and private hires which may involve operating roving mics for Q&A’s, queue management and assisting to sell products in the cinema , for example selling programmes and ice creams during intermissions.
- Attending information sessions for induction and regular updates and refresher sessions as required.
- Attending quarterly staff and volunteer meetings and socials. We love to meet up and inform all staff and volunteers of our progress and business updates throughout the year.
- Helping out at our many special events and festivals including the Glasgow Film Festival and mentoring temporary and new volunteers.
How do I apply?
You can download the volunteer application form and equal opportunities form (available below) and email them to email@example.com or return them to the box office.
Once completed this can be matched to possible opportunities. If we have anything suitable, we will ask you to come in for an informal interview, which will help you to find out more about the role, and for us to find out more about you. References will be taken, and for some roles Disclosure Scotland forms must be completed. Because of the high levels of interest, we regret that not all applicants will be invited to interview. However, applications can be kept for future vacancies.